Ramen Hero - Umami Shoyu

"We slow-simmered our chicken broth over time for the best possible umami flavor.  Each bath of broth is cooked to perfection.  We add generous amounts of soup stock extracted from a variety of carefully-picked vegetables and dried fish carvings, giving our soup its signature balanced and delicate flavor." - Ramen Hero

Hurrah, my third ramen kit from Ramen Hero arrived.  I always feel like it is Christmas when I get one of these - that's how excited I am when they arrive.  This time was an umami shoyu (soy sauce) broth. Also, the included toppings are now in single-serving packets.  Previously, the toppings were grouped in their own single package; ie, all the seaweed in a single package, etc.  In this kit, the toppings included marinated braised chashu (pork), braised menma (bamboo shoots), naruto (fish cakes), green onions, and nori (seaweed).  The additional toppings that are recommended, but not included, are a boiled egg, red onions, and baby spinach.  I only included the egg because I don't like red onions and I didn't have any baby spinach.

I really enjoyed this bowl.  The broth had a full flavor and the noodles are always delicious.  The chashu, while not tender, had a nice, porky taste.  This was the first time they included the naruto and I am very glad they did.  A slice of fish cake is traditional in some bowls of ramen.  I will say that the broth had a slight fishy smell to it, most likely from the aforementioned dried fish carvings inside of the stock, but I thought it tasted just fine.  The noodles have a boiling time of two minutes, during which you can heat up the broth in a separate pot.  The longest part of the cooking time for me was the egg at 8 minutes.  Basically, after 10 minutes, a steaming bowl of ramen was in front of me.

Another high quality bowl from Ramen Hero, which you can buy on their website for $10 per serving (minimum of three servings).  Give them a try!

The finished product.  I slightly overcooked the egg, but it was still delicious.


A closer look.


The contents of the kit, from upper left to right: chashu (pork), noodles, nori (seaweed), menma (braised bamboo shoots), shoyu (soy sauce) broth, green onions, naruto (fish cake).





Comments

Popular Posts