Ramen Hero - Thanksgiving Ramen 2017

"We simmered our turkey to extract its basic flavors, with festive thanksgiving toppings, including slow-braised turkey breast chashu, garlic butter roasted brussel sprouts, grounded turkey-cranberry umami paste, cream cheese mashed potato, and Italian parsley to freshen things up.  Enjoy our new ramen that you cannot find anywhere else, even in Tokyo." - Ramen Hero

My fifth ramen kit is a special seasonal dish available only in November and is obviously Thanksgiving-related.  If you want it, hurry over to Ramen Hero, it is normally $13/serving, but is reduced to $11/serving (minimum 3 serving order).

I liked this one better than the Halloween ramen a couple of weeks ago.  To start with, the broth very good with a strong turkey flavor.  Added to that is the grounded turkey-cranberry paste that adds to it as well as the turkey "chashu".  Chashu is normally pork but for the Thanksgiving-themed ramen, it is turkey.  I also don't normally like cranberry sauce but when it was mixed with the umami paste, the cranberry flavor was manageable to me.  And I always find brussel sprouts a tad bitter, but these didn't taste too bad with the garlic and butter flavor. 

What I really didn't understand was the mashed potato.  I mean, I understand it in the context of a Thanksgiving-themed ramen but I think in practice it fell short.  First of all, it was kind of a white lump sitting in the broth and when it dissolved after a bit of time, it made the broth kind of chunky and gritty.  I think I could have done without that part of it.  It tasted fine by itself but I think it was a flat note when combined with an otherwise tasty bowl. 

The broth, cream cheese mashed potato, turkey chashu, and noodles.


The brussel sprouts, turkey-cranberry umami paste, and Italian parsley.


It is slurpy time!


Mmmmmmmmm.







Comments

Popular Posts