Ramen Hero - Halloween Ramen 2017

"We used whole chicken as the main part of the broth and added butternut squash after steaming it with sake in order to highlight its sweetness.  We made sure to extract chicken's umami necessary for a ramen broth, while figuring out how to highlight the flavors and sweetness from the pumpkin." - Ramen Hero

My fourth ramen kit from the fine folks at Ramen Hero.  Give them a try if you want restaurant-quality ramen delivered to your home with toppings and a protein included.  

This was a limited edition seasonal item that is now sold out and unavailable for purchase.  I'm not a huge butternut squash fan but I am, however, a huge ramen fan so I decided to try this one out.  I did look forward to trying a bowl of different flavors that weren't in a traditional serving of ramen.  The main protein was a chashu that was actually a marinated chicken thigh with a bit of cheese wrapped on the inside.  The other toppings included a garlic-flavored crouton, Italian parsley, and a piece of red cabbage in the shape of a flying bat to complete the Halloween theme.

First off, let me discuss the broth.  It was flavorful, but also quite thick and sweeter than I like.  Again, this probably has something to do with me not really being into butternut squash, but I was unable to drink the entire broth due to the thickness and sweetness.  However, it was okay when eaten with the noodles and toppings.  The chicken thigh was flavorful and even though the Ramen Hero website said the thigh had cheese in it, I was unable to detect any cheese flavoring.  The croutons were a surprise to me since I wasn't sure how well a garlic crouton was going to go with the bowl, but it was one of my favorite parts.  It was crispy and the buttery garlic flavor added itself nicely to cut the sweetness of the soup.  The parsley gave a nice fresh feel to the dish and the little red cabbage bats were crunchy and kind of cute.  I went ahead and added a soft-boiled egg because it's my house and I can do whatever I want!

All in all, I'm glad I tried it, but not sure if I would order it again if given the option.

The contents of the kit, from upper left to right: red cabbage "bats", garlic croutons, noodles, marinated chicken thigh pieces with cheese, butternut squash broth, Italian parsley.


The finished product is ready to slurp!






Comments

Popular Posts