Hinodeya Clam Ramen and House Ramen

I had some errands to run in San Francisco and was only a few minutes away from Japantown.  Since I was in the area, I decided to try Hinodeya.  My wife decided on the House Ramen (also called the Hinodeya Ramen) and I ordered a special, which was a clam ramen.

One of our appetizers was the aburi chashu.  The menu describes it as a flame-torched pork belly with sesame and sriracha.  It was good but the pieces were very thin and the dressing made it a slightly oily.  We also had the gyoza and the dipping sauce was quite divine - it was described as a dashi sauce but it also tasted like it had a hint of sriracha in it.

The Hinodeya Ramen had a wheat-based noodle in a savory broth made of dashi and scallops with a scallop-and-pork flavoring oil.  I thought that would make the broth very seafoody, but it didn't.  Toppings for the house ramen included chashu (pork), menma (braised bamboo shoots), ajitsuke tamago (marinated egg), nori (seaweed), baby spinach, sesame seeds, red pepper, and green onions.

My special clam ramen came with a TON of clams.  The picture only shows about 1/3 of the actual amount; there was around 20 clams total.  The broth had a strong seafood flavor, which I expected and loved.  I actually don't remember the exact price but it was around $20.  For the amount of clams that it came with though, it was a deal.  Toppings included nori, menma, red pepper, and green onions.  And of course, a lot of clams, which was the highlight.


Special clam ramen


Hinodeya (House) Ramen


Aburi Chashu


Gyoza



Comments

Popular Posts