Uchiwa Ramen - Tonkotsu Ramen

I visited Uchiwa a few times previously, always leaving with an "ehhh" sort of feeling.  The ramen was so-so but they are conveniently located in San Rafael on B Street.  To my knowledge, this restaurant is the only ramen shop in Marin County.  I also always had the shoyu ramen in my three prior visits and always felt the broth was a little bland.  On a whim, I tried the tonkotsu ramen and was pleasantly surprised.

The broth is flavorful and tasty.  The noodles are always good, they are of medium thickness, which I like.  The toppings include 2 pieces of chashu, shredded mushrooms (I think), bamboo shoots, green onions, and half a soft-boiled egg.  One problem: the eggs must be refrigerated because the last two times I had this bowl, the egg was chilly.  The broth isn't piping hot either, which some ramen afficianados consider a deal-breaker.  I think next time, I will dunk the egg in the warm broth when the bowl first arrives to see if that will fix the chilly egg issue.  I also always order extra chashu (2 pieces) or $2, as the chashu it comes with isn't sufficient for me.

For more info and the full menu, click here: www.uchiwaramen.com


Comments

Popular Posts