Birria Ramen

For those that don't know what birria is (like I didn't), it is a Mexican meat stew traditionally made from goat but can also be beef or lamb (thanks Wikipedia).  Birria is typically served in taco form whereby the taco is dunked into a meat consumme', sort of like a french dip sandwich.  I haven't had a birria taco before but a woman who is part of a Facebook foodie group I am a member of was selling them so I obviously jumped at a chance to get this hopefully tasty fusion treat.

First things first, the noodles were transported inside the broth even though the advertisement said it would be stored separately.  This led to extremely soggy noodles that broke apart rather easily.  That was a shame because I think a chewy noodle would have been welcome.  The broth itself was extremely hearty, filled with a strong meat flavor and slightly oily on top.  The chunks of meat were divine - full of flavor and had me wishing for much more.  I could just have eaten the meat and been a happy camper.

Included toppings were cilantro, raw onions (which I didn't include since I don't really like onions), diced radishes, and a sliced lime.  The broth was so good, I used the leftovers for a different set of noodles the next day.  The price was EXTREMELY reasonable at $12/order.


Look at the deep broth color!



The advertisement.  






Comments

Popular Posts